Director of Development
The Jewish Council on Urban Affairs (JCUA) seeks a self-driven and highly motivated development professional to head its ongoing fundraising and operational needs.
The Director of Development is a dynamic and essential member of JCUA’s leadership team, with a focus on establishing a major gifts program and growing our major donor portfolio. The successful candidate will work in partnership with board and leadership to lead and implement the organization’s fundraising. They will meet and grow our $1.2m annual campaign, which includes the annual fundraising dinner.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director, supervises the Development Associate, and works closely with the entire JCUA team.
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Chicago, IL
Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000
• Meet annual fundraising goals of approximately $1.2m. Monitor and evaluate progress of reaching fundraising strategies and goals.
• Craft and implement JCUA’s major giving program. Cultivate relationships with current and prospective funders and supporters, with an emphasis on individual donors.
• Lead all fundraising activities including major gift planning, in-person solicitations, grant applications, special events, and direct mail appeals.
• In partnership with event consultants, manage and carry out all aspects of major annual fundraising event.
• Coordinate and assist with the writing of grant proposals and grant submissions.
• Supervise Development Associate and ensure they are supported and mentored in order to reach their goals.
• Ensure donor database is carefully maintained and up-to-date.
• Participate in the planning and implementation of strategies to promote planned giving.
• Work closely with the Board of Directors to achieve fundraising goals.
Qualifications & Skills:
• BA degree and a minimum of 5+ years in a fundraising/fundraising support position with at least 2 years in a direct fundraising role. Candidates with experience managing diverse aspects of an annual campaign preferred.
• Experience and demonstrated success with major gift prospecting, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
• Excellent relationship building skills with prior experience managing staff/volunteers/board committees.
• Familiarity with CRM systems and Microsoft Office suite.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communication skills.
• Enthusiastic leader and team player with a positive attitude.
• A passion for the mission of JCUA and a personal interest in social justice issues.
• Flexibility and responsiveness to changing priorities.
• Familiarity with the Chicago Jewish community.
JCUA believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit a resume & cover letter to Laura Ford, Giving Tree Associates: firstname.lastname@example.org