Membership & Engagement Coordinator
The mission of the Jewish Council on Urban Affairs (JCUA) is to combat poverty, racism and antisemitism in partnership with Chicago’s diverse communities. Inspired by core Jewish values, we organize a Jewish constituency to collaborate with communities directly impacted by poverty and racism toward realizing a shared vision of justice. In the context of
our ongoing work to build bridges and deepen connections with communities across the city, our work in 2018-2019 calls for three main areas of priority impact: 1) Issue-based Campaigns and Community Organizing; and 2) Youth Leadership and Engagement; and 3.) Community Investment. To achieve our organizational mission, JCUA develops and mobilizes a base of individuals from the Jewish community who become engaged in a variety of ways as leaders, donors and participants in campaigns, activities, and programs.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Jewish Council on Urban Affairs (JCUA) seeks a motivated, organized and detail-oriented professional to serve as its Membership and Engagement Coordinator. We seek a highly enthusiastic, dynamic, people oriented individual, who is a team player and is excited to work with diverse communities.
The person in the new position of Membership and Engagement Coordinator will play a lead role in recruiting, engaging, and developing members as leaders and donors for the organization. The ideal candidate is equipped with core competencies, skills and passion to effectively engage the Jewish community in the work of JCUA. The Membership and Engagement Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Development. The Membership and Engagement Coordinator is a trusted and critical member of the Development and Engagement team, aiding JCUA to achieve our vision and goals.
● Develop initiatives and activities to recruit, educate and engage JCUA members to participate in JCUA’s work.
● Create and implement a comprehensive membership and engagement plan to define membership and determine membership goals and priorities.
● Work to acquire new donors and build relationships with donors during fundraising events.
● Assist with drafting and editing of donor proposals, acknowledgements, and other donor communications.
● Coordinate at least one annual membership fundraising event that will target small donations and highlight JCUA’s grassroots campaign work.
● Assist the development and engagement team in the planning and execution of the Acts of Change annual event including supporting logistics, volunteer management, vendor relations, marketing, etc.
● Serve as a bridge between the development and engagement team and the organizing team in coordination with the Director of Development and the Director of Organizing.
● Support the day-to-day work of the development and engagement team to meet or surpass JCUA’s fundraising goals.
● Work in coordination with the Development Associate to ensure all member interactions are recorded, tracked and have appropriate follow up.
● Work in coordination with the Communications & Engagement Manager to articulate our work and foster membership engagement.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Experience in fundraising operations, strategies, and activities
● Meticulous attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.
● Skilled at managing multiple projects at the same time.
● A passion for the mission of JCUA and a strong commitment to social justice and an understanding of the Chicago Jewish community, as well as communities of color.
● A high degree of independence, flexibility, initiative, commitment and ability to work as part of a team.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience facilitating meetings; ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders; and ability to develop effective partnerships.
● Experience and demonstrated success in setting goals and objectives, managing outcomes, and developing and using data to inform continuous improvement and decision making.
● Experience working effectively in the remote environment created by the current health pandemic preferred.
● Experience in Raiser’s Edge a plus, or another CRM system; and MS Office Suite, Zoom, and Google products.
● Salary range for this position is between $40K and $42K commensurate with experience
● Medical, dental, and vision coverage
● SIMPLE IRA (after 3 months of employment)
● Two weeks paid vacation (with an increase over time), plus sick leave
● Days off for major Jewish holidays
● A supportive work environment with people committed to bringing out the best in each other and to create positive social change.
Position is open until filled. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, 1-2-page writing sample, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Jewish Council on Urban Affairs believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength, and recognizes and values the intersecting identities that staff members bring to our organization. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. JCUA is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.