JCUA IS hiring!
To apply please email cover letter, resume, and two work samples, preferably one email communication and one mailer or flyer, to email@example.com.
Resumes will be accepted through May 15, 2019.
The Jewish Council on Urban Affairs (JCUA) is the Jewish social justice voice in Chicago, working to combat poverty, racism, and antisemitism in partnership with Chicago’s diverse communities. Inspired by core Jewish values, we organize a Jewish constituency working together to work in coalitions for meaningful social change. In the context of our ongoing work to build bridges and deepen connections with communities across the city, our work in 2019 calls for three main areas of priority impact: 1) Issue-based Campaigns and Community Organizing; 2) Youth Leadership and Engagement; and 3.) Community Investment. To achieve our mission, JCUA develops and mobilizes a base of individuals from the Chicago Jewish community who become engaged in a variety of ways as leaders, donors, and participants in campaigns, activities, and programs.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
JCUA is seeking a highly motivated self-starter for the position of Communications Manager to build and implement JCUA’s multi-channel communications. Central to this position is the lead responsibility for carrying out branding, messaging and communications strategies to increase membership, raise up organizing campaigns, boost fundraising, and increase JCUA’s visibility. Technical savvy, graphic design knowledge, excellent writing skills and an understanding of owned and earned media are absolute musts. The person in this position reports directly to the Executive Director and works in close collaboration with all of the JCUA staff.
- Develop and implement design, content and messaging for JCUA’s communication channels including: website management; mass and targeted emails including newsletters, program-specific emails and JCUA action alerts; marketing materials; member communications; direct mail; press releases; event materials; and annual reports. Serve as lead writer and develop content in collaboration with program and development staff.
- Work with staff leadership to promote a consistent JCUA brand with an awareness of racial equity and reaching a multi-generational audience.
- Grow and manage JCUA’s social media to bring visibility to the organization’s work and events. Manage JCUA’s blog, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts and implement strategies for staff content creation.
- Develop and implement fundraising content, in conjunction with development staff, for marketing materials, direct mail, and online fundraising campaigns and appeals.
- Manage media relations: Identify and research media outlets, cultivate relationships with editors and reporters and pitch stories for placement
- Contribute to the total organizational impact, communicating openly, solving problems proactively, and participating as a positive, engaged team member.
- Exhibit a strong desire to work for social justice and make connections between JCUA’s work and JCUA’s Jewish values.
- Develop and maintain a communications calendar informed by staff.
- Use analytics and monitoring mechanisms to evaluate effectiveness of communications and adjust strategies.
- Assist with organization-wide events including some evenings and weekends.
- Supervise interns where appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or equivalent experience.
- 2-3 years of professional experience in communications, digital media, or related communications role.
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop and implement aesthetically appealing and visually compelling messaging to multiple audiences for effective communication.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Creativity, high attention to detail, resourcefulness, and follow through skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, set priorities and complete high-quality work within tight timeframes.
- Understanding of root-cause analysis of structural discrimination.
- Flexibility and responsiveness to changing priorities.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including some evenings and occasional weekends.
- Demonstrated experience working with a website content management system and blogging system.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator); web analytics.
- Enthusiastic team player with positive attitude.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud products including Raiser’s Edge
- Experience with WordPress websites
- Photography skills
- Familiarity with the Chicago Jewish community and/or Jewish social justice work
- Familiarity with community organizing
- Passion for social justice / community organizing
Salary range is $50,000 – $60,000 depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage and pre-tax transit card. Two weeks paid vacation (with an increase over time) in addition to paid sick days. Days off for major Jewish holidays. A supportive work environment with people who are committed to positive social change and to bringing out the best in each other.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email cover letter, resume, and two work samples (preferably one email communication and one mailer or flyer) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through May 15, 2019.
The Jewish Council on Urban Affairs believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. JCUA is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, disability, religious, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class.