JCUA’s Development and Engagement team works to develop on-ramps for people to get involved with the organization, including the engagement and stewardship of donors, both online and in-person. We believe that social change happens through organized people and organized money. We work to cultivate and engage members, many of whom are donors who provide financial resources which help to sustain and grow JCUA. JCUA seeks a motivated, organized and detail-oriented individual to serve as its Development Manager. We seek a highly enthusiastic, people-oriented fundraiser who is a team player and committed to JCUA’s values and mission. JCUA is a small dynamic organization where the staff is highly collaborative and committed to supporting each other’s work and goals. As an outgrowth of our most recent strategic plan, JCUA’s stakeholders (board, staff and members) are working to bring a racial equity framework to all of the organization’s work. The Development Manager reports directly to the Director of Development and Advancement and is a trusted and critical member of the Development and Engagement team.
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Advancement to streamline and implement new fundraising systems and infrastructure.
- Develop and implement portfolio management, develop and manage moves management strategies to retain current donors and engage prospective supporters.
- Manage an active organizational schedule for meetings and solicitations; prepare and support individual staff members for successful donor meetings and help to manage relationships that result in increased financial support for JCUA.
- Prepare solicitation materials such as briefing memos, major gift proposals, slide decks, presentation pieces, and other materials as needed.
- Build relationships with small and moderate donors through ongoing communications and prospect new donors, both personally, and for the Director of Development and Advancement, Executive Director, and Board members in securing gifts directly.
- Create cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities for mid-level donors to reach and help to build JCUA’s major gift pipeline.
Event Coordination and Special Fundraising Campaigns
- Coordinate fundraising opportunities, logistics and programming for JCUA’s flagship annual event, Acts of Change.
- Partner with Director of Development and Advancement and Communications and Engagement Manager to oversee JCUA’s fundraising appeals; oversee JCUA’s end of year campaign to continually improve JCUA’s individual donor retention.
- Coordinate small fundraising events, parlor meetings, and other opportunities to identify and cultivate new donors.
Foundation and Administration Support
- Support JCUA’s foundation submissions, letters of inquiry and reports, including gathering data. Track due dates, award letters, and all other funder communications. Support grant writing and assist in sourcing new grant opportunities.
- Manage Development calendar, help generate content for appeals and updates, and coordinate recipient lists.
- Work with the Director of Development and Advancement and Executive Director to build out systems and best practices for grant and gift portfolio management, donor tracking and cultivation.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience.
- 3 or more years of fundraising experience with demonstrated growth in responsibilities, including direct solicitation experience.
- Demonstrated track record and passion for inspiring people to give.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective event management skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Experience using CRM systems; experience in EveryAction is a plus.
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and lead multiple projects and to complete them in a timely manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting and manage up accordingly.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Passion for social justice and desire to advance JCUA’s values and mission.
- Exposure and understanding of the Chicago Jewish community is a plus.
JCUA’s office is located on the northside of Chicago. Due to Covid considerations, staff currently work two days in the office with additional days remote optional, which is subject to change.
- Salary range is $54k-$60k.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Retirement matching program.
- Generous days off including two weeks of paid vacation (with an increase over time), sick leave, and major Jewish holidays. JCUA closes at 1:00pm on alternate Fridays in an effort to promote a healthier work/life balance.
- Flex and comp time available to balance evening/weekend scheduling
- A supportive work environment with people committed to bringing out the best in each other and to advancing positive social change.
Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.