Past Immigration Campaigns
2022 Legislative Wins
- Earned income tax credit expansion: Over one million Illinois residents became eligible for the credit, including those who file taxes with an ITIN and workers aged 18-24 and 65+.
- Immigration legal assistance task force: The General Assembly passed the Right to Counsel in Immigrant Proceedings Act, creating a task force to provide recommendations for how the state can move toward providing legal representation for all Illinoisans facing deportation
- Medicaid coverage expansion to noncitizens aged 42 and up, regardless of immigration status
- Illinois Way Forward (SB 667): Huge win!
- Banned cooperation between law enforcement and ICE
- Ended public and private immigration detention in Illinois
- Hospital Accountability (SB 1840): increased healthcare equity through lowered costs for low-income and uninsured individuals
- Medicaid expansion: Extended medical coverage for noncitizens age 55 to 64, regardless of immigration status
- Immigrant Services Line Item funding increase:
- New Americans Initiative – $8 million ($3 million increase)
- Immigrant Family Resource Program – $6 million ($1 million increase)
- Immigrant Family Support Project – $30 million ($10 million increase)
Other past campaigns include
- Campaign for a Welcoming IL: ICIRR convened a coalition of over 85 organizations for a multi-year campaign to pass proactive legislation
- Amendments to the Welcoming City Ordinance
- Keep Illinois Families Together Act
- VOICES Act: Streamlined the U visa and T visa process.
- Safe Zones Act: Protected against ICE arrests at courthouses, schools, hospitals and other sensitive locations.